Beads by Mutable Instruments
Price match guarantee. If you find a cheaper price, we'll match it. Write us
Beads is a reinvention of Mutable Instruments’ Clouds.
The concept is the same, live granular processing of an incoming audio signal, and the labels on the panel remain familiar.
The similarities stop here. The hardware and software have been redesigned from the ground up, with several goals in mind: a crisper and broader sound palette, more control, better playability, and direct access to exciting new features.
Beads’ vastly improved specifications allow a higher audio quality, a longer buffer, the use of better interpolation and anti-aliasing algorithms, and key DSP blocks to run at a faster rate. Granular processing now get into new territories, such as formants, wavetables, hard-sync-like sounds, or crispy noise.
The range of parameters, their response to the turn of a knob or a CV modulation have all been refined, for new possibilities such as reverse playback or percussive envelopes.
- Stereo I/O with automatic level detection.
- Manual override of the level detection.
- Automatic mono/stereo switching through patch cable detection.
- Recording time: 4s (48kHz 16-bit, stereo) to 32s (24kHz µ-law, mono).
- Feedback path delay: 1 sample.
- Independent knobs for feedback, dry/wet amount, and reverb amount.
- CV input assignable to each of these three parameters, or to variable combinations of them.
- When unpatched, the R output is summed to the L output.
- Optional generation of a gate signal on the R output.
- Audio codec: 24kHz, 32kHz or 48kHz, 24-bit.
- Processing rate: audio-rate for the SEED and FREEZE inputs, 4kHz for the CV inputs.
- CV input range: +/- 8V for grain parameters, +/- 5V for density (with V/O tracking) and assignable CV.
- Internal processing: 32-bit floating point.
- Size: 14HP
- Depth: 25mm
- Power: +12V:100mA, -12V:10mA